For whomever thinks that running is a cheap or inexpensive sport: think again. I mean, I guess it can be, but the way I seem to be doing it, well, let’s just say my credit card company loves my new hobby. My husband, not as much a fan.
Checklist of running items that are now necessary:
- Good running shoes (changed every 300-500 miles): I now have seven (yes SEVEN) pairs of running shoes. Three of them are ‘old’ and are not good for running anymore, but I haven’t had the chance to donate them to a charity or take them to Meg Menzies’ memorial (yet!). And I’m always on the lookout for new shoes….because somehow, I go through them really quickly!
- Good running bra
- Running shorts
- Shirt (I have a few tech shirts from races, so they are ‘free’)
- Body glide*
- Running socks
- Fuel belt
- Water bottle
- Headphones, wireless
- iPhone (for music, the RoadID app and the app to track my running for either Charity Miles or Walk for a Dog)
- nunn (a tablet that you put in water; great for helping to keep your electrolytes balanced, tastes far better than the sports drinks you usually get at the store)
- Garmin GPS watch
- Road ID bracelet
- Glimmer Gear light up armbands (for safety)
And of course, this list doesn’t include the race entry fees, travel to the races and all the swag you want to buy from your races! But you know what? I’ve found that it is something that keeps me motivated, active, busy and therefore, my husband is happy to support my efforts, my habit and my running-necessitated spending. And for that, I am so grateful to have someone who ‘gets it’ and is happy to fund my addiction.
* I CANNOT OVEREMPHASIZE THE IMPORTANCE OF THIS ITEM! I only discovered it in March, and I felt like the secrets of the world had opened up to me. Finally, the chaffing can be kept to a minimum. Which in the heat I run in, is about all I can ask. Truly, this is one of the most important items on my gear list. If you are just starting out, do NOT skip buying this, especially if you run in warm weather!
That was my list. What do you consider the running essentials? I’d love to hear that I’m not the only one who has spent a small fortune on my new hobby! And maybe you’ll have some ideas of great other ‘stuff’ that I can add 🙂